Ali Matin has experience in a broad range of business and complex civil ligation matters in state and federal court, and also represents debtors, creditors, and trustees in bankruptcy proceedings. His clients have included individuals and businesses in a wide variety of industries such as finance, real estate, technology, healthcare, medical devices, and the legal profession.
Prior to joining Bienert | Katzman, Ali served as judicial law clerk to then Chief Bankruptcy Judge of the Central District of California, Peter H. Carroll.
Ali earned his law degree from Loyola Law School in 2009. During law school, Ali was an editor of the Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review where he published Digital Rights Management (DRM) in Online Music Stores: DRM-Encumbered Music Downloads’ Inevitable Demise as a Result of the Negative Effects of Heavy-Handed Copyright Law, 28 Loy. L.A. Ent. L. Rev. 265 (2008).
Ali was selected to the Super Lawyers® “Rising Star” in 2019.
- A $280 million settlement in a qui tam action under the False Claims Act, the second largest settlement ever in a non-intervened qui tam case, on behalf of a whistleblower in the pharmaceuticals industry.
- A multimillion dollar settlement on the eve of arbitration involving fraud and securities violation claims against a major brokerage firm, on behalf of an investor.
- Dismissal on the eve of trial of a $600 million legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and RICO case, on behalf of a prominent estate planning attorney.
- Dismissal of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and RICO claims on behalf of two of Orange County’s leading businessmen and philanthropists under California’s anti-SLAPP statute, followed by an award of attorneys’ fees in their favor.
- A release of a multimillion dollar judgment against a real estate developer client, after obtaining favorable rulings to discharge the debt on the client’s behalf.
- A full distribution on all general unsecured claims by the chapter 7 trustee after negotiating a complex, multi-party liquidation of a highly encumbered real estate asset, on the trustee’s behalf.
- Selected as a Super Lawyers® “Rising Star” for the year 2019