About Bienert, Miller & Katzman
- University of California Davis School of Law, J.D., 1997
California State University Northridge, 1994
- Supreme Court of California
PartnerVCard | View CV
Michael R. Williams is a business litigator and trial lawyer with substantial experience in all aspects of complex commercial litigation. His main practice areas include insurance coverage and bad faith, corporate governance and partnership disputes, contract and business tort claims, trade secret misappropriation, and employment litigation. He has substantial first-chair experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in trials, arbitrations, and mediations.
Representative matters Mike has handled in recent years include:
- Prosecution of bad faith claims on behalf of two public companies in the semiconductor industry. In each case, Mike and his team obtained summary adjudication on key coverage issues and then negotiated a multi-million dollar settlement on the eve of trial. Mike also has successfully litigated bad faith cases for clients in the software, property management, apparel, food products, manufacturing, and real estate development industries.
- Prosecution of breach of contract and fraud claims on behalf of a group of entrepreneurs and privately-held companies in the automotive accessories business. Mike’s clients won a $55 million judgment following a six-week bench trial.
- Prosecution of direct and derivative claims on behalf of an LLC member against the LLC’s managers, who had engaged in transactions that unfairly enriched the managers at the other members’ expense. Immediately after filing suit, Mike and his team obtained a temporary restraining order to prevent the defendants from completing certain imminent transactions, and within days obtained a settlement under which his client received 100% of the amount owed.
- Defense of a private equity firm and its principals in a series of arbitration and litigation proceedings in which Mike’s clients were alleged to have misappropriated trade secrets and breached fiduciary duties in connection with a portfolio investment. After defeating the plaintiff’s request for a preliminary injunction and obtaining a series of favorable rulings on key issues, Mike’s clients entered into a highly favorable settlement.
- Defense of one of California’s fastest-growing franchise restaurant chains against trade secret misappropriation claims by its largest competitor. After obtaining highly-damaging admissions during the deposition of the plaintiff’s key witness, Mike negotiated a settlement under which his clients made no out-of-pocket payment.
Mike graduated in the top 5% of his class from the University of California, Davis School of Law in 1997. While at Davis, Mike served as an Executive Editor of the UC Davis Law Review. Mike received his undergraduate degree in political science from California State University Northridge in 1994. Mike has served as President of the Public Law Center’s Board of Directors since January of 2012, and previously served as a member of PLC’s Executive Committee and Co-Chair of its Dinner Committee. In 2007, Mike served as Chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Business Litigation Section.
- Public Law Center, President 2012-13
Orange County Bar Association