Anne Uyeda specializes in complex business, insolvency, commercial litigation, and white collar criminal defense matters. Her litigation experience includes representing federal agencies, public companies, counties, insurance companies and brokers, general partnerships, and witnesses in contract disputes, business tort actions, shareholder derivative actions, bankruptcy matters, complex securities actions, and federal civil and criminal investigations.
Representative matters that Anne has handled in recent years include:
- Representation of the Official Committee of Retired Employees in the case of In re City of San Bernardino, currently pending in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California, Riverside Division. The Committee represents the interests of more than two-thousand retired City employees in this municipal bankruptcy case.
- Defense of two owners of a large produce farm against forced labor charges and related felony counts. The U.S. Department of Justice dismissed all charges against Anne’s clients after six days of trial.
- Prosecution of two separate breach of contract actions on behalf of a federal agency against two title insurers. In one matter, as a result of a meritorious motion for summary judgment, Anne and the BMK team secured a judgment in favor of her client in the amount of approximately $5.9 million. In the other matter, after obtaining a dismissal of several key affirmative defenses, Anne and the BMK team negotiated a highly favorable settlement for their client.
- Representation of a federal bankruptcy Trustee in the pursuit of funds belonging to a bankruptcy estate. On a motion brought by Anne and Steven J. Katzman, a federal judge ordered the return of over $1 million in embezzled tax refunds to the estate.
- Representation of an oil and gas company and two of its principals in a proceeding regarding an alleged violation of a temporary restraining order. Anne and the BMK team successfully obtained a discharge of an Order to Show Cause against her clients after several discovery disputes and nine days of testimony. In the same matter, Anne and the BMK team also obtained the dismissal of an appeal challenging the bankruptcy court’s order authorizing a Chapter 11 trustee to use a bankruptcy estate’s interest in a subsidiary’s stock to vote in favor of a settlement agreement.
Anne is a member of the Orange County Asian American Bar Association, the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (“NAPABA”), and the Orange County Bar Association. She served as a panelist on municipal bankruptcies at the 2015 NAPABA Annual Convention held in New Orleans, Louisiana. Anne previously served on the Board of Directors for Friends of READ Orange County, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the literary services provided by the Orange County public libraries.
Anne earned her law degree from UCLA, where she received the Blanche H. Lyle Scholarship and the Distinguished Pro Bono Student Award. She graduated cum laude from U.C. Irvine with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and was elected as a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Prior to joining Bienert, Miller & Katzman, Anne practiced in the litigation departments of Musick, Peeler & Garrett in Los Angeles, and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher in Orange County.
- UCLA School of Law J.D., 2004
- University of California, Irvine 2001
- Supreme Court of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Orange County Asian American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association